REC BMS for 24-series LTO cells for Sunny Island

• Hi, this is my first post, as I just found this company as a reseller of REC BMS.

I'm building a new battery system for my double-split-phase Sunny Island backup power system.

The battery will consist of 24 blocks in series, where each block consists of 18 LTO pouch cells having a capacity of 55 AHr per pouch (nominal). So to the BMS this looks like 24 series cells @ 2.2V nominal per cell and about 1,000 AHr capacity.

Most of the REC BMS models seem to have a limit of 16 cells max, being designed for higher-voltage lithium chemistries.

What would be the appropriate model, or master-slave combination of models, to work for this battery?

[I'm not sure I'll make use of the balancing resistors, because at 2.2 VPC the balancing current would be pretty low for a 1000-AHr pack. Instead I'm considering a separate active balancer, such as the Neey 24S15EB (up to 15 amps balancing current).]

As far as precharge control, I've already designed and built a precharge system that uses DC vacuum contactors, a main and a pre-charge with a power resistor, for each SI inverter (each inverter also has its own 250A DC breaker in series with the contactors). This system accepts a relay closure signal to turn on all four inverters, which can also turn them off when there is an out-of-spec condition at the battery. Then there is a separate contactor with relay closure input signal that can interrupt the current from the DC charge controller when necessary. So this means I'd like a pair of hardware signals from the BMS that represent "overcharged" and "overdischarged" error conditions.

Finally, what are the options for controlling and monitoring the BMS? I see there is a WiFi option, but is there an Ethernet option? I could use either, but prefer wired networking.

• Hi Peter,

I can answer a few questions here for you.

There is an extra output that can be configured using the Tasks section of the WiFi for your ssplit bus system

For a 22 cell configuration you would use 2 of the 2Q Slaves in a series configuration

No ethernet, but the wifi can be configured as either and AP or STA device for connection to a local home network

I am mentioing Tine from REC for your LTO question

@Tine Andrejasic 

• Thank you Rick.

In order to use the two 2Q slaves, do you also need a Master unit?

• @Peter 

Well The resistors inside the BMS are 4Ohms, this means when balancing @ 2.5V that is minimum threshold it would be 0.625 A when balancing, but actually a bit lower since the BMS performs measurement and then the balancing is switched off. 

You would have to use 2 series connected Slaves and Master BMS. I would have to make a custom Firmware for series connected Slaves for SMA SI, since we only have Parallel option.

If you already have the cells OK, but I would consider buying LiFePO4 and install a single 2Q BMS unit.