REC ABMS integration

• Hi,   I am just in the process of making a purchase of the WS500 but I would like to know more about the practical details of the integration with the REC Abms as mentioned on the \"Lithium on a boat\" FB group. Thanks! Best Regards Paul

• This a new feature  and I understand that it connects via CANBus to your REC BMS allowing the BMS to issue pullback commands to the alternator, effectively reducing its output if the BMS senses a cell temperature getting hot or its voltage nears a trip condition.  This way the WS500 wall reduce the field output to the alternator and help to avoid a hard OV trip.  Maybe Al from Wakespeed can confirm this and give some more details.  Below I have copied this post to him. @al-thomason

• Hello,  happy to give more details - and do know we are in the process of creating small \'mini-guides\' to address the details for each of the proofed integrations, until then feel free to ask here or email support@wakespeeed.com The integration of the REC BMS and the WS500 falls largely into three topics:
    • The REC BMS will make charging decisions, providing voltage and current goals to the WS500.  In this way the BMS (Which truly knows the most about the battery and its needs) is able to direct the charging process.  But even then there are capabilities the WS500 will still deliver:
      • Dbl check on temperature limits:  Even with the REC BMS providing charging goals, if the battery temperature falls outside the configured limits, the WS500 will stop charging.
      • \'Zero Output Technology\', one can decide to enable (or not) Zero Output Technology, so when the BMS indicates the battery is at its target SOC and no more charging is needed the WS500 will actively regulator battery current to 0A, allow the alternator to support ongoing house loads.  Alternatively, alternator output may be terminated.
      • Alternator Protection:  All the usual alternator protection capabilities are still in play:  Soft ramping, temperature regulation, adaptive idle pullbacks - to name a few.
      • Get-home mode:  Again a configurable feature:  What should happen if  CAN communications somehow is lost?  Should the WS500 stop charging, fault, or go into a limp-home mode -- typically at a fixed voltage.
    • Remote Instrumentation:  Battery current and Temperature are delivered via the CAN, no need to install those sensors from the Ws500
      • Though is some installs, due to latency, there may be instability if Zero-Output Technology is being used, in that case connecting the Shunt wires could be helpful.  And given the WS500 is compatible with the same shunt the REC BMS uses, is simply a matter of running the wires.
    • Fault Handling:  As noted by Rick, if the BMS detects a concern it is able to direct the WS500 to reduce battery stress.  Up to and including a well coordinated shutdown of the entire system in the case of a catastrophic battery disconnect event.
      To install, connect and configure the REC BMS per their directions - connect the CAN between the WS500 and the BMS, then connect:  Alt+, Alt-, VBat+, VBat-, Field, and Enable/key wires.    We have a simple batch file that can be ran to configure the WS500.  It will be posted on the Wakespeed.com website when we get the documentation finished.  Until then, feel free to email us at the support address above and we will send it out to you.  Once all is connected and working, you should see the LED change from Green blinking to an amber color, indicating the Ws500 is locked onto the BMS via the CAN. I hope this answers most of your questions, -al-      

• Hi Rick & al,   Thanks for your replies. Correct me if I am wrong but the CAN on the REC is terminated with a serial RS485 serial connector and the CAN on the WS500 is terminated with an RJ45. Do the cables need to be cut and then connected or have I misunderstood completely?   Thanks! Regards Paul

• Paul, I dont have personal experience with REC but it seems there are both an RS485 and CAN bus connection, the CAN being optional.  The RS485 is just a multi drop RS232 connection and is used to connect to a computer or local displays.  See attached picture. The RJ45 pinout wires are in the WS500 manuals and if I recall CAN + and - are pins 1 and 2, which on my cable were orange and orange/white.  Just grab a good quality Ethernet cable for building a cable to you CAN bus. Cheers,   Rick @al-thomason \"REC                                                                                           Al, please comment if you would like to expand on this.

• As Rick said, there are indeed two DB-9 connectors on the REC ABMS:  one for Serial access via RS485 for configuration and such, the other for CAN.  To connect the WS500 just connect up the CAN-H and CAN-L wires, nothing more is needed.  (Do make SURE to purchase the \'Victron\' version of the REC BMS, the other one will not work).  Reference the REC users guide and the WS500 Configuration and Communications guide for pin-outs of these two connectors. If the WS500 will be installed near the BMS, one idea, there are little DB-9 to RJ45 adapters available, look on Ebay searching for \"db9 rj45 male\".  They come as a kit with wires you can place into the DB9 connector matching the position needed.  Makes a kind of clean install.   A detail is only one CAN terminator can be used at the Ws500 end, the REC end would not have a proper terminator.  But if the distance is short (Say, under 3 meters) the signal integrate will be reliable.  It is how I have been testing and I have verified no issues with running only one terminator (With the short CAN bus, if the distance is long, or more devices are attached, make sure to install a proper terminator at each end of the bus) Hope this answers you question!  And drop an Email to support@wakespeed.com when you are ready to do the install.  We have worked up a simple pre-configured profile for the WS500+REC and can send it to you.  At this point are still finishing up  the documentation, once it is all completed will post the file directly to the Wakespeed.com website, but feel free to reach our if you need it before then. -al-