WS500 / Cerbo GX / BMV-712 / Alternator Shunt

• Hey, 

Just installing my WS500. (replaced a Mastervolt Alpha Pro III with it). It seems far superior with the canbus support. Even with the janky usb port / app. 😅

I have installed a shunt on my alternator output wire thinking the alternator can pick up the BMV 712 shunt over canbus. 

I cannot find any documentation on this though? I want the Battery temp / amps going into the battery bank to come through canbus to the WS500. Specifiacally temp so it will not charge below 0c. 

Any advise?

• I can not specifically answer this as I am in the same position, Ibhave the kit ready but will probably not install it until spring 2024.

For reading of the shunt data You need Venus OS V2.93 or newer on the Cerbo and V2.5.1 on the WS500.

The settings for enable_ALT_CAN are covered on page 69 of the WS500 communication and configuration guide rev 2.5.1, value =18.

I am going to install an alternator shunt and was originally going to use NMEA_RAT and set NMEA OUT to on in the Cerbo to get the info but this new setting would be better. However, we could do with more detail like does it have to be a SmartShunt or will any Victron shunt work, does anything need setting on the Cerbo or does it just take the value from the shunt you have chosen as the main battery monitor.

A bit more info would help me also so I will keep an eye out for responses.