Basic WS500 Setup Question

• I\'m bit confused about the dip switch vs configuration software.  Do the dip switches set the basic parameters then the configuration software fine tunes those parameters OR does one override the other. If so, how do I know which parameters are being used dip-switches or config setting? I have a bank of 8 x 24v 50Ah Battleborn BB5024.  

• You set the parameter in the SCO string to zero to use the dipswitches.  Here is a page snip of what it looks like in the WS500 tool we include with the WS500  

• I do not see the page snip.

• <DISCLAIMER:  Al of Wakespeed>

Alan,

You can use the DIPs to set basic configs for the WS500 -- works fine, but a bit rough granularity around the battery, and also no ability to adjust the Alternator outside the default 100C temperature set point.  If that works for you, using the following will work fine  (DIP 1..8)

OFF-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-ON

Make sure the reg has the latest firmware, as the built in Charge Profile for CPE #6 was changed from FireFly to BattleBorn.

Alternatively, would suggest using the Wakespeed app to create a custom profile; lets you set the exact battery capacity, as well as easily adjust Alternator parameters if you wish.  From there you can 'Share' it with a PC that is running the OGSS tool to upload it, or use one of the Android solutions.   Check out wakspeed.com/learn for videos on the Wakespeed app.  Rick can address the use fo the OGSS tool for actual transfer.

In either case, follow the BattleBorn install guide from the Wakespeed website for wiring details:

https://www.wakespeed.com/product/ws500-advanced-alternator-regulator/#wc-tab-title-support

https://www.wakespeed.com/wp-content/uploads/BattleBorn-Combined.pdf

In summary, as Rick pointed out, setting some of the internal commands to a non-zero value overrides the DIP switches.  If using the Wakespeed app, DIPS 1..7 are overridden leaving only DIP #8 still active.   Dip #8 is kind of nice to turn on at first trials, to see if the system works well, does not overheat and is stable by capping the field drive to 75% (default value) max drive.  If all checks out good, try a run with DIP 8 off, and see how things are when running full-bore!  Kind of a Walk before Run approch..

Use a tool to monitor the regulator (Cerbo/VRM, OGSS, Wakespeed App, NMEA-2000) while running to see how alternator temperature is holding up under the demanding load.