REC ABMS not recharging after reaching full charge

• Hello, My system has been setup for a few days, and it is either not re-entering charge mode, or I dont know how to determine when it should be (i.e. an SOC level, a voltage level, etc.)  Most likely this is derived from a combination of some settings that I don\'t yet understand. Setup:
    • 16 3.2v prismatic
    • 4P4S configuration
    • REC ABMS
    • Victron MP3k
    • Cerbo GX
    • BlueSolar CC
      A little backstory: Roughly 5 days ago I installed the system, and it charged up to 100%.  I had the \"END of Charging\" and \"Balancing END Voltage\" set conservatively for the first charge (3.5v vs datasheet spec of 3.65). \"Balancing START Voltage\" was set to 3.4. During the initial charge period, it did not reach 3.5v, but seemed to stop charging completely around 3.45v.  It began ramping down the current much earlier in the voltage scale (I dont recall exactly, but probably around 3.4 or shortly after). After reaching 100%, the BMS sat all day and did not take in any solar power The following day, the pack was down around 89% (voltage maybe 13.3?) and still not charging.  I went in and made some changes to the end of charging parameter (bumped it to 3.6), and it began charging from the solar.  Eventually it also picked up from the inverter and put about 120ah into the pack. Once it reached 100%, it stopped charging and went to discharge. It is now 2 days later, no solar has been taken in, shore power is covering inverter loads.  Pack is down to 13.25v and reading 83%, but not charging. Questions: Would it be possible to explain what parameters would effect re-charging, and how to determine a point where it will begin charging?  i.e. with x y and z set to values a b and c,  <blank> formula = a low voltage setting of e.g. 12.8 before it starts to recharge, or 85%, etc.  If possible to use the provided config (below) as an example, that would be fantastic! My concern here is passing up a day of perfectly good solar.  I am also a little concerned about whether the REC BMS might have too much preference for solar? i.e. if it is a sunny day and the pack is reading 70% while motoring, is it going to prefer solar even if its only putting out say 20a? is it possible to have control over this preference if so? Notes: I came across a thread on the victron forum which seems to touch on this, mentioning an SOCH (state-of-charge hysterisis) parameter that seems related.  I posted about the parameter in this thread when trying to find latest firmware but have not received any responses yet.  I emailed Tine about the latest firmware after reading that you have to contact REC directly for firmware, but have not yet heard back there either. My ABMS is currently configured as follows, where we can see SOCH is set as 0.05 Thanks for any help!   Config:
    { \"cmin\": 2.8, \"cmax\": 3.7, \"tmax\": 55, \"bvol\": 3.5, \"bmin\": 3.45, \"tbal\": 55, \"tmin\": 2, \"capa\": 1120, \"char\": 3.45, \"ioff\": 0, \"chis\": 0.25, \"razl\": 0.25, \"maxh\": 0.25, \"minh\": 0.1, \"bmth\": 5, \"ioja\": 0.019531, \"soch\": 0.05, \"op2l\": 2.9, \"op2h\": 0.2, \"re1l\": 3.6, \"re1h\": -0.2, \"chac\": 0.25, \"dchc\": 0.5, \"maxc\": 180, \"maxd\": 280, \"clow\": 2.9, \"socs\": 0.832935, \"cycl\": 2, \"chem\": 3, \"strn\": 1, \"err\": { \"p\": 0, \"num\": 0 }, \"nnc\": { \"bms\": 2, \"cell\": 4 }, \"vnc\": { \"bms\": 2, \"cell\": 3 }, \"toor\": { \"bms\": 2, \"cell\": 1 }, \"baud\": { \"lcd\": 56000, \"com\": 56000 }, \"mcu_time\": \"03:07:38\", \"mcu_date\": \"21.10.2022\", \"bms_name\": \"1A-1877\", \"addr\": 64, \"tunit\": 1, \"Ah\": 186, \"cur\": -4.359667, \"new_log_every_midnight\": false, \"out\": false }

• 75.9% today, 13.27 volts, still no charging occurring ;( Also looks like I forgot to mention I am on 30A shore power at the moment.  MP3k is set to 100A charge limit

• This summer we did some testing on a firmware tweak that would provide better control at the very top of the charging range using the larger SI-Q series BMS.  I put together a draft charge profile document and pushed it back to REC for review and comment.  I never got any feedback on it but they did update the SI-Q series manual.  Here is a link to that document. https://rec-bms-na.com/download/9/rec-q-series-bms/1215/usermanual-rec-q-bms_victron-compatible-v_2-8-06-2022.pdf See page 25 for an expanded explanation of the charge cycle. I am also attaching a copy of my draft chart, which although not verified might help a bit as well. I also have a request in to REC to see if there is a firmware update for the Active BMS coming, but like you have not heard back on it yet. Hope this helps

• Hmm.. I read this, did the math, and double checked my settings but I still do not understand why it is not recharging. In order to trigger a charge, I have to set the  \"END of charging voltage hysteresis per cell\" to 0.20, otherwise it has discharged down to 60% so far with no recharging activated by the BMS.  Once I make the change, I can even set the value back to 0.25 and it will continue charging to 100%.  Everything seems to be behaving as expected -except- that it does not seem to re-charge unless I tickle that value, or the \"END of charging voltage\"   I\'ll try and fill out your sheet and add more details here around what results I got, what I expected to see, and what was actually observed.

• Hello, 

Today I updated my REC ABMS to 2.8 software.  At the time, my pack was measuring around 72% (3.25v per cell), and had not been recharging. 

After the upgrade, the pack was reading 50% (This was somewhat expected, at least it is in line with the behavior of a new device). It immediately began to charge. I restored the settings from the export which was taken before upgrade. 

The BMS proceeded to order the MP3k (under external control) to charge at 90A (my current limit on the MP3k). This continued until the highest cell was at 3.52, and the lowest cell was 3.43.  It did not ramp down at any point, but SOC was set to 100%.  I became concerned that the algorithm was making some strange decisions I did not understand (Different from the previous version with the same settings), and turned off my inverter charger.  I then read through the charing section of the new 2.8 manual again.  I am still confused about the settings I have configured, and the observations.  

I don’t understand why no ramp-down occurred. It is support important to me to feel comfortable with this before hooking up my 250a Balmar alternator.  I have 6 days left before my slip is up and I must head south.  It would be pretty nice to have a functioning alternator at that time.  Any support would be super great.  This is becoming quite stressful.  

For posterity, here is the relevant charging section form page 33 on the “Manual for REC Active BMS_Victron_Wakespeed_compatible_v2_8.docx file I received from Tine. Below, I work through this section, substitute the config parameter with my values and complete the math.  I have also added in some questions about individual statements that are not very clear in the manual.  It would be great to have someone confirm the calculations and understandings are correct, and correct anywhere I have misinterpreted the manual.

“When the highest cell reaches the End of charging CHAR voltage setting, charging current starts to ramp down to 1.1 A x Number of Inverter/Charger Devices STRN until the last cell rises near the End of charging  CHAR (CC/CV) – UBDI (End of charge unbalance difference). At that point the Maximum charging voltage allowed is set to Number of cells x (End of Charge Voltage per cell CHAR – Maximum Cell Float Voltage Coefficient CFVC x End of charging hysteresis per cell). End of charge SOC hysteresis SOCH and End of charge cell voltage hysteresis CHIS is set to prevent unwanted switching. SOC is calibrated to 100 % and Power LED lights ON 100 %. Charge optocoupler is turned off. Maximum allowed charging current is set to 50% to allow supplying DC loads from charging devices like MPPTs. 

Charging current is limited to 30 % of the maximum charging current, but more than 5 A near both ends of temperature (Max cell temperature TMAX and Min temperature for charging TMIN) and when the battery is empty (Max discharging current is set to zero).

Charging is stopped in case of systems errors (see System Errors indication chapter). 

SOC is calibrated to 96 % when the maximum open circuit cell voltage rises above 0.502 x (Balance start voltage BMIN + End of charging voltage CHAR), minimum open circuit voltage above Balance start voltage BMIN and system current is positive.”

WHEN the highest cell reaches the End of charging CHAR voltage setting (3.45)

Charging current starts to ramp down to 1.1 A x Number of Inverter/Charger Devices STRN (1) 1.1 * 1 = 1.1

UNTIL the last cell rises near the End of charging  CHAR (CC/CV) – UBDI (End of charge unbalance difference)

CHAR=3.45, UBDI=null in config, 0.008 from UBDI? (8.00000e-3)) -- 3.45 - 0.008 = 3.442

Questions: 

1: Are MPPTS considered “inverter/charger devices”, or just the MultiPlus?

2: Where it says \"Near the End of charging CHAR - UBDI\", what does \"near\" mean? is it at 3.442 from the calculation above, or is there some hysteresis applied here to achieve a \"near\" value? is this just a grammatical error and it should read: \"UNTIL the last cell rises to the CHAR - UBDI\"?

3: If I understand this correctly, once any cell reaches 3.45 (CHAR), current should begin to ramp down until the last cell reaches 3.442 -- is this correct?  

THEN At that point the Maximum charging voltage allowed is set to Number of cells x (End of Charge Voltage per cell CHAR – Maximum Cell Float Voltage Coefficient CFVC x End of charging hysteresis per cell). 

End of charge SOC hysteresis SOCH and End of charge cell voltage hysteresis CHIS is set to prevent unwanted switching.

CHAR=3.45, CFVC=0, CHIS=0.25. - 4 * 3.45 - (0 * 0.25) = 3.2 * 4 = 12.8 Maximum Charging Voltage Allowed (float voltage)

Questions: How is SOCH used in calculation? 

Charge optocoupler is turned off. 

Question: Will this mean the charge bus is disconnected?

“Maximum allowed charging current is set to 50% to allow supplying DC loads from charging devices like MPPTs.” 

Question:  How will MPPTs supply DC loads if the charge contractor has been disconnected by the previous statement “Charge optocoupler is turned off”

“Charging current is limited to 30 % of the maximum charging current, but more than 5 A near both ends of temperature (Max cell temperature TMAX and Min temperature for charging TMIN) and when the battery is empty (Max discharging current is set to zero).”  

This sentence is confusing in general, but focusing on the first section ““Charging current is limited to 30 % of the maximum charging current, “ — the previous sentence says it would be set to 50% — which is correct? If both are correct, can the conditions for the 30% state be better defined? Is this a correct interpretation of what is written:

\"IF TMAX or TMIN has been reached and Max Discharging current is set to 0, charging current will be between 5A (min) and 30%  of maximum charging current\" ?

“SOC is calibrated to 96 % when the maximum open circuit cell voltage rises above 0.502 x (Balance start voltage BMIN + End of charging voltage CHAR),”

BMIN=3.35, CHAR=3.45 -- 0.502 * (3.35+3.45) = 3.4136

• Sorry, I tried to format the above for best readability, but it seems some of the styling did not take :(

• I turned the MP3k back on and it did eventually begin to ramp down, however my cells were drifting apart pretty significantly, two around 3.53 and the other two down in the 3.4 range and dropping.  Since the last cell never rose high enough (I think this would be  CHAR - UBDI = 3.442), or perhaps a last cell never reached 3.45, but charging never stopped, it just ramped down to 1-2A and was essentially trickle charging the pack. I set CHAR down to 3.43 and CHIS to 0.29 to stop the charging. Once it stopped I reset the parameters (3.45 and 0.25 respectively) and charging did not re-enable.   Just wanted to update that it did in fact begin to ramp down, but the behavior is very different with 2.8 vs 2.7, with the same configuration settings.   The upgrade to 2.8 began a clear diversion of cell balance. First photo is zoomed in to the point of upgrade Second photo show the history (Via VRM) of min/max cell voltage from pack installation-- They have so far stayed together quite well, even when charging.