Firmware update and NMEA data.

• Hello, I recently bought a WS-500 here and, after installing it on my sailing yacht, it has been working very well. But I have two questions where I would like to ask for support. Unfortunately I was not able to get any reply after contacting Wakespeed support directly, so hope someone here can help me. 1) I tried connecting it to the Wakespeed app (for iOS) via USB cable but when I go to the Device section of the app it doesn’t seem to detect it. I also tried pushing the reset button but it still doesn’t detect it. I was hoping to use the app to update the firmware, is there a workaround for this? 2) I was able to connect the WS-500 to my NMEA network (B&G Zeus3 chartplotter). I did not use the original CAN port, instead I used the harness with the CAN Deutsch Connector and from there to an NMEA M12 Adapter connected to my network. As a result, I can now see the WS-500 in my chartplotter and when I click on it I can see data for alternator voltage, charging phase and some other parameters. I did not see however data for the current or temperature. Is there any way to enable this as well? Thank you! Giorgio

• Anyone able to answer these? I tried contacting the support but I have not received any answers.

• Missed this one.
    1.  The IOS app is for offline setup only.  IOS does not allow the use of the port for 3rd party serial USB functions like Android does.  The idea is that you configure it, send yourself an email with the config, then use a PC to install it to the WS500......
    2. Same goes for firmware updates,  There is no MACOS or IOS STM drivers available to  connect with the device at a low level to perform the firmware install.  Again you are stuck with a PC.
    3. For WS500 NMEA data display, NMEA never envisioned a Smart regulator and therefore does not have a specific PGN for it.  You can only get limited data as a DC source.  If your plotter has a J1939 port you may be able to get the data you are looking for.
    4. Here is a link to the full WS500 communications manual that might help.
    5. https://www.wakespeed.com/wp-content/uploads/Wakespeed-Communications-and-Configuration-Guide-v2.5.0-09.26.2022.pdf

• Thanks for the info Rick, I appreciate the answers! In regards to 3), you mentioned that with a J1939 port I might be able to get the data I want. Unfortunately my plotter (B&G Zeus3) doesn\'t have that but I was wondering if it would work if I connect it instead to a separate CAN BUS J1939 reader display (something like this https://www.kutai.com.tw/products/generator-control-unit/dsp-52). I also read about connecting it through bridges like YD or Maretron (https://panbo.com/how-wakespeeds-ws500-alternator-regulator-solves-complex-charging-issues-a-new-approach/ down in the WS500 to NMEA 2000 update ). Would this help solving the NMEA data conflicts? Thank you.  

• Great news! Looks like I didn\'t need any of the above. I was able to get the data to display on my B&G Zeus3 (see attached image). What seems to have fixed was to go into the WS500 configuration and disable the Is Generator option. After that, I was able to get current, temperatures, rpm. etc. I am guessing this solved the ID conflicts. I do have another question though. When I looked at the RPM the data showed 1640rpm but my actual Yanmar panel showed 2000rpm and I know this value to be correct. Is there a way to calibrate the rpm data in WS500?  

• Hey Giorgio,  this is pretty cool.  I havent played with this feature in a couple of years and its great to see it now integrates well.  Thanks for sharing! The engine speed is calculated based on the alternator speed (A/C frequency) and the pulley ratio so it just looks like you need to change the drive ratio in the SCV command   SCV; -- SYSTEM CONFIGURATION \"SCV;, Lockout, BTS2ATS?, RevAmp, SvOvr, BcOvr, CpOvr, ,AltTempSet, drtNORM, drtSMALL, drtHALF, PBF, ,Amp Limit, Watt Limit, , Alt Poles, Drive Ratio, Shunt Ratio, ,IdleRPM, TachMinField, Warmup Delay, Required Sensor, DC_Disconnected_VBat, FeatureIN_mod, TriggerHalfPowerRPM, Ignore Sensor, Feature-OUT mod, ,BMS Amp Cap, Promiscuous Mode” Drive Ratio:Ratio of engine and alternator drive pulley

• Thanks, I divided the alternator rpm by the engine rpm and added that as the drive ratio value, seems perfectly in sync now. Thanks for the support!